Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Soundtrack to my life...

I haven't done one of these posts in a while. Here are some of the songs that have floated around in my consciousness for the last 6 months or so....

The Cranberries, Just my imagination
For some reason, I went through a phase last autumn of listening to nothing but the Cranberries. It's not like I was ever a fan of them before so it wasn't for nostalgic reasons. They just seemed to fit my mood as I caught the tube into London every morning and wandered through the park on the way to the library. I think it's because some of them are a bit angry, and that can help when you have to get the tube, haha! Also, when you're fed up to the teeth with writing a thesis and none of the books in the library seem to be helping. HAHAHA! (It's ok, like I said, it was just a phase, the need for anger has passed!) But yes, as the leaves fell I fell in love with the lovely catchy nineties sounds of songs like this one....


Nina Simone, Ne me quitte pas
This one first hit my ears in Paris. I remember the moment perfectly. I had just crossed over the Seine near Notre Dame where I had finally discovered the Shakespeare and Company bookshop. I was walking round the nooks and crannies of this curious shop when the song began playing in my ears and it was so sad and helpless, I had to go outside and listen properly. And then listen again and again wherever I wenr. Nina breaks my heart everytime I hear this song, but in the loveliest kind of way....


Coldplay, Lovers in Japan
Ahh Coldplay. Not the coolest band to admit listening to over and over again. But they do have some lovely old songs. I got their new album Mylo Xytolo after watching the amazing elephant video for their latest single Paradise and I've been listening to it when I go running as it's nice and upbeat (useful on a cold day when running seems less like fun and more like a silly idea). That gave me the urge to listen to their previous offering again, Viva La Vida (an album I associate with listening to in the car with my brother, singing along loudly and out of tune for many a drive). This song is one of my favourites, not least because it came on when I was running along the beach in Scotland on the last day of the year. It was cold, oh so cold, but the sun was shining so brightly, and the sea was glorious, and I felt so happy running along the shore on the completed deserted beach. It was the perfect way to end the year. I may even have skipped a little bit and jumped around and leaped in the air like a crazy person....


First aid kit, Dancing barefoot
So this songis a cover of a Patti smith song, and if you watch the video, you'll see that they bring Patti to tears with their delightfully empassioned version. This song is what made me discover my new favourite duo. Tiny swedish folk hippies with melodious harmonies are brilliant. I Love it. So excited for their new album, out this week or next I believe....


Kate Rusby, Not me
I've loved Kate Rusby's music for years. She is a proper folky folk singer, mixing old traditional songs with newer ones that she's written herself, and delivering them all in her gorgeous lilting tones. I only really listen to her in winter for some reason, probably because that's when I first got an album by her and some music just doesn't sound right in my ears in a different season (Nick Drake belongs to autumn for example). She is the perfect choice for a long train ride across the country. Sad, nostalgic, simple. This one is my new favourite because Life really does move so quickly at the moment....


All in all, a bit of a random collection, but I hope you enjoy. What have you been listening to lately? Share a gem with me if you will...
x

2 comments:

  1. i love first aid kit aswell..i listen to a lot of "warpaints" lately http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHkP9zRyD88
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh thanks for sharing that :) It's a lovely and soothing song. The video is extra pretty too! I will definitely investigate this band further!
      x

      Delete