Friday, October 28, 2011

A haiku a day...



It's been a bit of a quiet week for me on here as I spent last weekend away in the far reaches of Scotland and have been trying to catch up on work and sleep ever since I got back. Despite the lack of any other words on these here pages, I have a few extra haikus this week as Sunday was a very long and inspiring day spent walking along a beautiful Scottish beach. I spotted oystercatchers and black-headed gulls galore, picnic-ed on a cliff-side over-looking a secret bay, skipped around at the waves' edge like an excited child, collected shells and feathers, admired the pretty boats bobbing in the harbour, managed not to get blown away in the wind, stared in awe at some nutter kite-surfing on the wild waves, walked through a yellowing forest at sunset, spotted some deer on the horizon, sat in the prettiest, cosiest summerhouse in all the land admiring the many trinkets which adorn its ceilings, walls and windows and keeping warm by the light of many candles and blankets, stroked a beautiful cat, played scrabble and ate my weight in macaroni cheese. I couldn't limit all that inspiration into just seventeen syllables or even just words, so here are my haikus and some photos to accompany. Enjoy...


Friday

Sunrise, train ride (slow)
Grey rainy streets of Glasgow,
Later the drinks flow.

Saturday
A glimpse of a fox,
As the train zooms through hayfields,
Sly sunset surprise.

Sunday
(i)
Blustery beach walk
Sea spray, sandy shoes, footprints
tracing our escape.

(ii)
A sudden flurry
Of black-headed gulls, flapping
up, surrounding us.


(iii)
On the horizon,
leaping deer: grace incarnate
as they disappear.

Monday
All day on a train,
Sorry to complain but its
driving me insane.

Tuesday
Rainy afternoon,
I batten down the hatches,
Hide my face away.

Wednesday
Songs rise up, filling
the room, taking my thoughts on
a dreamy journey.


Thursday
The sky is grey, wet,
the light muted, I forget
long
summer mornings.














Upon returning home, seeing this quote made me smile....

"For whatever we lose (like a you or a me),
It's always our self we find in the sea..."
~ e.e. Cummings

I'll be back next week with more haikus and hopefully some sewing/crochet/crafty projects to share.
Enjoy your weekend - may it be full of autumn leaves, warm soups, cardigans, a good book, some nature, smiles and dreaming...

x

No comments:

Post a Comment