Saturday, August 06, 2011

The mother of all spider plants...

This is the story of a spider plant that is always pregnant with many baby spiderettes...
Just look at them all dangling down (and slowly trying to take over the guitar)

It wasn't always like this. When I first bought lovely Miss Spider from Columbia road flower market nearly three years ago she looked very sickly indeed and I feared that she wouldn't last very long at all.

See how small and dejected and yellowish she was...

But I moved her onto the shelf in my very sunny bay window and as I watered and fed her she grew and grew and then one day out poked a little arm, and tiny flowers grew upon it, and then later, two tiny little babies started to form. When they looked big and strong enough I followed careful instructions in my plant book and planted them carefully.

Here is the first little spiderette planted all by itself. Doesn't it look glamourous in sepia?!

Two years later, this tiny baby now lives atop my cupboards, leafy and green along with many of its brothers and sisters which are slowly but surely taking over my flat.

Some of them flop over shelf tops...


Some of them get their leaves trapped in cupboard doors....


Some of them grow all twisted and droopy...


And some of them are still quite small...



I have given at least one spiderette plant to nearly everybody I know that has come to visit me and sometimes I give them away at housewarming parties. Some of those plants have gone on to grow tiny spiderettes of their own (making my plant a granny spider!!) but still the mother keeps shooting out arms that sprout more and more tiny plants. Really, her repoductive ways are relentless!

Here's one of her spiderettes spouting a spiderette of its own!


One day my house will be completely overtaken by her leafy offspring and will probably look something like this (I'll have to peer out from amongst the leaves to see the sunlight)...

Well that is the story of the spider plant that wants to take over the world... I hope you enjoyed this tale of leafy madness.And if you are ever in the market for some spider plants I can probably help you out!

With love from a crazy plant lady (probably at least one stage of madness further than a crazy cat lady :S !!!)
x

No comments:

Post a Comment