Thursday, September 22, 2011

Ce qui m'inspire en ce moment... PRETTY PATCHES OF COLOUR

Having just finished my latest crochet project I've been thinking lots about what to hook up next. I thought I wanted to go out and buy lots of new wool in co-ordinated purple and bluish tones and make a giant blanket for my bed with a proper pattern. But then I had a think about what has really been inspiring me lately and I've started something quite different...

Bright summer colours might have faded from the streets (people are wearing less bright colours, choosing instead to revert to drab greys and browns) and the flowers in gardens are starting to wilt and die but
the colour pallette of months gone by lingers on the edge of my consciousness. Meanwhile, as autumn gets going, berries start appearing and the leaves are becoming a little bit more multicoloured then usual. Before it's all gone for winter the world has a last blast of colourful energy and I want to capture that. Here are some of the things that have inspired me - all of them colourful and patchy in some way...

This bright corner of my mum's garden at the end of August. I love how all the colours zing together, not quite clashing or co-ordinating but co-existing in a bright happy way...

and smaller but still colourful... my own window ledge, having one last flourish :)


Bright graffiti tags appear and disappear in layers of paint on the walls of the nearby nature walk...




Even the leaves get transformed in this painted patchwork...


Patchwork people - a sculpture at Glastonbury. What drew me to this was all the tiny patches of colour juxtaposed together...


Flicking through old photos I was drawn to the glowing kaleidoscope of colours in this light installation I saw at the
Fete des Lumieres in Lyon a few years ago...


and the bright happy colours of this flowery tree installation which 'grew' on the banks of the Rhone...


and photos of mosaic tiles from the walls in Park Guell in Barcelona...



Clothogancho is one of my favourite sources of crochet inspiration. Her blankets are huge landscapes of patchy colour, immense woolly works of art. Like this one...

Image via clothogancho this post
I urge you to go and see all her beautful creations! Even her blog heading is a feast for the eyes!

One of
MeMeRose's latest posts got me thinking about the possibility of something patchworky with her link to the amazing Beekeeper's quilt by Tiny Owl Knits...

Image from Tiny Owl Knits where the pattern can be bought via MeMeRose

This image makes me want to always use every possible colour of wool...

That's when I fished out my big bag of leftover wool accumulated over the last few years from all my knitting and crochet projects. Just peeking inside the bag made me realise that I have so many odds and ends of different colours to use up (and a huge volume of wool that needs to turned into something useful, instead of just sitting at the bottom of my wardrobe taking up space)...
So I've started something patchy, something colourful, something to snuggle under for warmth as the colours burst and fade in the coming months. I will show you soon once it has grown a little larger :)

What's been inspiring you lately?

x


1 comment:

  1. I love all your creative photos, my dear friend.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Besos.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

    ReplyDelete